Pages

Sunday, October 15, 2017

'YF' Giant of Hong Kong Style Romans and Castle Playset No. 811

FIRST, A small correction to my previous post where I referred to the Giant of Hong Kong Medieval Knights and Castle Set as 1/72 scale. Actually these small sets were HO scale making them 1/87 not 1/72. 

Today's set was purchased as an opened, but otherwise mint set but I noticed a couple of peculiarities. The header card states 'Romans and Castle' yet clearly shows Medieval Knights! DOH! This Roman/Medieval, supposedly mint set had not a single Roman or a single Knight. Instead the bag was packed with Mongols! LOL And actually I'm okay with that - it helps to broaden the collection a little and the castle is awesome, just like I remember them as a kid! I loved these diminutive sets when I was a young 'un.

The header card is marked 'YF' - who is 'YF' anyway? A subsidiary of Giant Plastics? A knock-off company? I had heard through rumors and propoganda that all the tooling from Giant was sold off to another Asian company and subsequently destroyed for its scrap value. True? I don't know. Someone else said this was a 'later' set. Later? How much later? The castle walls are quite crisply molded with only a little flash at the connecting tabs and they're in such good shape they appear almost as if they were made yesterday.

The set includes the 16-piece castle, 4 mounted warriors, and 12 foot soldiers in multiple colors. The castle measures 7" (17.78cm) square , the gate wall is 2 1/4" (5.71cm) H to the top of the gatewhile the other walls are 1 1/2" (3.81cm) Enjoy! Opa Fritz and Oma Bettina






I just didn't have the time to photograph the little figures individually - I don't know when I'll get around to it.















2 comments:

  1. Ed - I think I'm responsible for the 'later' comment (probably more than once!), I date these late-1970-early/mid 1980's, as opposed to Giants original 1960's, but then Archie McFee/Accoutrements re-issued them in the late 1990's with the same figures as were supplied to BuM aound the same time, and I've seen up-to-date YF 'armyman' sets on feebleBay, so they still seem to be around, and to have the moulds?

    H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Great info Hugh, that explains why some sets just don't look as 'aged' as others. And no matter who has the tooling it is good to know that it's still out there (at least I hope it's still out ther as of today) !!

      Delete