Pages

Saturday, October 14, 2017

Giant of Hong Kong Medieval Knights and Castle Set

For many of us boys who grew up in '50s and '60s Giant Plastics of Hong Kong offered a wide array of wonderful toys in that over-arching category of 'Little Green Army Men', all in a diminutive 1/72 scale. Their sets spanned historical periods from the ancients to modern day offering; Romans, Vikings, Mongols, American Revolution, American Civil War, Old West Cowboy and Indian, and modern day Army man playsets. Personally I remember most of their offerings on cards like the one you see here, I do not recall them being packaged in bags and a more informed collector will need to clue me in on that point. Some sets were small add-on packs, having only a couple of accessory pieces, and some were larger with castles or forts, mounted riders, perhaps a horse pulled artillery piece or two, vehicles or (my personal favorite) the Viking ship! The sets were dirt cheap back in the day and over the years my mom ended up buying me a bunch. I loved 'em and played the heck out of 'em!

I managed to latch on to this MOC (Mint on card) set from - of all places - Belgium! The seller offered it for a price I thought reasonable and I never did look to see where it was coming from until it arrived in the mail :-) The set includes a small castle consisting of four walls, about 5 mounted knights, and 16 on foot. The castles/forts were pretty much the same regardless of whether they were medieval, or Mongol, or whatever. They were differentiated by different turret tops and other details and some deluxe versions were larger than this one. I hope to post a few more Giant toys as time becomes available on my end. Unlike many of the toys posted here, which I've only first seen and purchased as an adult collector, Giant of Hong Kong was definitely a big part of my memories as a kid and if they were a part of your life, I hope you too - Enjoy! Opa Fritz and Oma Bettina




No comments:

Post a Comment