Pages

Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Ideal No. 3044 Bungalow Bar Truck

Also called the Ice Cream truck or Good Humor truck (for Good Humor brand ice cream) the Ideal Bungalow Bar truck was made from 1950-52 and is the basis for at least two copies: American Dimestore produced a near exact, but much smaller truck; and Road Champs made a similar but not exact diecast version. There may be others but those are the ones I'm aware of. The truck measures 5 3/4" (14.60cm) L x 2 1/4" (5.72cm) W x 2 5/8" (6.66cm) H and has two opening ice cream compartment doors. 

I bought this truck a couple of years ago but it was full of crud which I finally got around to cleaning off (I hate it when sellers don't bother to clean their wares off!). There's a small chip on the front bumper but overall my sample is in decent shape. I'm not sure if Ideal actually made some kind of 'Bungalow Bar' as Internet searches came up bupkis but the truck itself is an iconic reminder of days gone by when ice cream trucks plied the roads of suburbia and neighborhood streets (ALTHOUGH I never remember seeing one in my neighborhood back in the '50s-'60s). Enjoy! Opa Fritz and Oma Bettina

Ideal (L) American Dimestor (M) Road Champs (R)





















No comments:

Post a Comment