Pages

Monday, July 31, 2017

Marx Navarone Giant Playset Howitzer

For some reason, this was one of my favorite Little Green Army Man pieces when I was growing up. There were a couple of small howitzer variations by different manufacturer's back in the day and I just kinda liked their looks. Growing up I always had these hanging from the back of the Jeep as depicted in catalog illustrations, and that's how I photographed it here. The Howitzer measures 4 1/2" (11.43cm) L x 1 5/8" (4.12cm) W x 1 1/2" (3.81cm) H. Enjoy! Opa Fritz and Oma Bettina


















The Jeep + Howitzer configuration is what I remember from catalog illustrations growing up and how I played with these as a kid. After perusing the Internet I did notice that Marx box art for the Battleground sets did show the howitzer being pulled by the Halftrack - a more likely real-life scenario. The Halftrack would also probably have been hauling the ammo needed for the gun. When looking at these photos it is clear that the Jeep probably would have struggled hauling a piece of ordnance like this gun and may have been a last resort if needed on the battlefield.

Sears 1966 Christmas Wishbook Catalog pg521 Marx Battleground Playset









4 comments:

  1. That's very useful Ed . . . it's clearly the source for all those crappy Hong Kong piracies!

    H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx Hugh! I've posted a couple of small guns here and have at least one more to do in the upcoming weeks - after a small foray into the Viking Invasion, "a sword age...a wolf age"

      Delete
  2. As with you, this was my favorite Battleground gun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx Mannie! I don't know why but this was my favorite as a kid and it's still my favorite 108 years later (hahahaha)

      Delete