Pages

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Eldon F-100 Super Sabre - Red-Silver SP

Okay, I'm gonna cheat a little here. In order to save time writing about the development of the F-100 Super Sabre, I'm gonna let this photo do all the talking:


It's the plaque sitting directly beneath this:




This is one of the static displays at Nellis AFB here in Las Vegas. I remember the F-100 because it was just being phased out when I was stationed at my first airbase in Victorville, California. I think by 1979 they were all gone from base - except for, I believe, one static display.

I remember the Super Sabre in another way as well. I had the all-silver version of the Eldon toy as a kid! There were only two versions made by Eldon, the all-silver one and this red-&-silver variant both of which were originally mail-in premiums from one of the Kelloggs cereals. Even though I have photos of the all silver version, the photos just didn't turn out the way I wanted so it may be some time before I get around to re-taking them. Ya got to admit, this is one heck of a cereal premium, nothing like the dinky little toys that are the common fare of cereal boxes and measures 12 1/2" (31.8cm) L x 10" (25.4cm) wingspan x 4 1/2" (11.4cm) H. For what was essentially a cheap toy it had retracting wheels and firing rockets. The four rockets mount below the wings and shoot from the fuselage nose. In tests at the house they flew a respectable 9' (274.3cm). Enjoy! Opa Fritz and Oma Bettina

(First a little Photoshop fun)

It's 1969 and an Eldon F-100D Super Sabre, assigned to the 4536th Fighter Weapons Sq at Nellis AFB, NV takes flight over the skies of Las Vegas.





Now let's look at the toy

















The spring-loaded rocket slips into the nose of the fuselage





Retractable wheels






8 comments:

  1. Another excellent jet toy! The photography is cool too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many Thanx Will! This was one of my favorite jet toys as a kid. I like doing the special effects stuff when I get the time.

      Delete
  2. Ive got a soft plastic knock off of this, virtually identical apart from the probe and firing mechanism and its Royal Austrailian Airforce too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill, that's cool! Is it gonna appear on Moonbase Central anytime soon?

      Delete
    2. Hello, Does anyone know how many types of the Eldon Super Sabre's were made? I tave the Two USAF jets and a Blue RAF and a RAAF red and silver one

      Delete
    3. to the best of my knowledge they only came in red/silver and all silver

      Delete
    4. A wonderful toy ,many hours fighting enemy planes ,and I wouldn't do it now but it is actually a fairly decent glider or at least my old one was

      Delete
    5. I had the all silver version as a kid and it was one of the earliest pieces on my bucket list when I got into toy collecting. To think we were able to get these for a song-&-a-dance back in the day LOL

      Delete